THE SANTINI BIB-SHORTS GUIDE - FIND YOUR PERFECT PAIR
The bib-short is the most important piece of equipment for any road cyclist, period. Bib-shorts are an investment in your well-being on the bike, and for anyone that has ridden for an extended period of time knows this fact. For this reason, people spend significant amounts of time researching and trying various solutions in order to find the right bib-short for them.
There is a famous story that in which our founder Pietro Santini, while attending an International track cycling competition in Bergamo in the mid 1970s, noticed a strange type of black material that made up the East German riders’ shorts. He attempted to get closer but the handlers wouldn’t allow it (this was during the cold war and tensions were extremely high). Immediately Pietro found a company that was specialized in synthetics to begin producing clothing with the strange new fabric. Once testing in regional track racing of this new material was complete, Santini began selling lycra bib-shorts across the globe. This moment would be just one of the many chapters in Santini’s long history of groundbreaking innovation.
INNOVATION AND RESEARCH
The 2018 range features 11 proprietary seadpads found in the numerous models of bib-shorts currently available, all developed specifically for Santini. Our CEO Monica Santini is dedicated to providing the right solution for every rider, and we work tirelessly to make sure our shorts have just the right characteristics to provide maximum comfort and performance in the saddle.
OUR CURRENT RANGE
The current bib-short range is arranged in three tiers based on specific needs of the rider.
• Pro-Endurance Line - Professional grade bib-short able to withstand the rigors the of the UCI World Tour. Proven in the pro-peloton including all three Grand Tours(In case you didn’t know an average grand tour crosses 3,000 kilometers over 21 days). We have been supplying professional teams for 53 years so rest easy when we tell you that we know what we are doing.
• Performance Line – This line is designed specifically for training and Granfondos. These high-performance shorts can withstand long hours in the saddle and while maintaining extraordinary comfort. Some of our most popular items make up our Performance line of bib-shorts.
• Comfort Line – Thousands of cyclists across the globe put their trust in the shorts in our everyday comfort line. These shorts are far and away the best value bib-shorts available on the market. They feature design elements and technical know-how from our higher tier shorts and are of course Made in Italy.
• Mid-season Line – Our mid-season bib-shorts will help you get through the unpredictable weather of early Spring and Fall. The garments are designed to mantain constant body temperature while wicking away moisture from the body. Designed and Made in Italy.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT BIB SHORT?
At the end of the day Bib-shorts are a very personal preference. One should take the time and evaluate the entire range to consider what characteristics are best suited for your riding style. Here are some of the main points to take into consideration:
• Chamois (seatpad) selection – We suggest studying our Seatpad Technology page (https://www.santinisms.it/en/content/seatpad-70) to understand better our range of seatpads and which one is right for your needs.
• Braces – The braces come in two main types: Elasticated seamless or mesh. The seamless braces lay flatter on the skin due to the surface construction, both provide excellent breathability.
• Crash protection – Our new Impact Bib-short features an innovative anti-abrasion crash protection that can protect riders from skin abrasion in key areas in the event of a crash. Once your endurance is up and you achieve a high level of fitness you will easily be riding over 100 kilometers for up to 5 hours on each ride, make sure that your bib-short is up to the task. At Santini we are obsessed with making great bib-shorts and as you can see our 2018 line is extremely complete with solutions for every rider.
Once your endurance is up and you achieve a high level of fitness you will easily be riding over 100 kilometers for up to 5 hours on each ride, make sure that your bib-short is up to the task. At Santini we are obsessed with making great bib-shorts and as you can see our 2018 line is extremely complete with solutions for every rider.